The Black Car Fund
Who We Are:
• The Black Car Fund is a non-profit organization created by New York State to protect New York’s for-hire drivers and their passengers — so that every ride is a safe ride.
• We administer safety and health programs that benefit for-hire drivers, their passengers and other New Yorkers on the road. We also provide workers’ compensation insurance to black car and luxury limousine drivers who work for our member bases.
• We have approximately 300 member bases throughout New York State, covering 70,000+ affiliated drivers. You can see a list of our participating bases here.
• To view our driver informational handout, please click here.
What We Do:
• Background Checks: All of our drivers must be able to pass a full background check.
• Safe Driving Programs: We train drivers to share the road with pedestrians, bicyclists and other motorists, as well as how to use defensive driving skills to avoid accidents. Read more here.
• First Responder Training: Our Hands Only CPR program prepares our drivers to be ready and able to provide and direct urgent medical care, keeping watch over our communities. Read more here.
• AMBER Alert Response: We train our drivers how to proceed when they believe they have identified either a missing child or a vehicle police suspect is involved in an abduction.
• Workers’ Compensation Insurance: We provide insurance to for-hire drivers with wage replacement and medical benefits if they are injured on the job. Our workers’ compensation plan can also cover medical expenses, hospital fees and medication costs related to an injury. Read more here.
• Driver Death Benefit: If a Black Car Fund driver passes away while on the job, their loved ones are eligible for a $50,000 payment to help them recover from tragedy. Learn more here.